Skip to main content

Between the Shades of Gray_Chapter 1-2

1
THEY TOOK ME IN MY NIGHTGOWN.

    Thinking back, the signs were there—family photos burned in the fireplace, Mother sewing her best silver and jewelry into the lining of her coat late that night, and Papa not returning from work. My younger brother, Jonas, was asking questions. I ask questions, too, but perhaps I refused to acknowledge the signs. Only later did I realize that Mother and Father intended we escape. We did not escape.

    We were taken.

    June 14, 1941. I had changed into my nightgown and settled in at my desk to write my cousin Joana a letter. I opened a new ivory writing tablet and a case of pens and pencils, a gift from my aunt for my fifteen birthday.

    The evening breeze floated through the open window over my desk, waltzing the curtain from side to side. I could smell the lily of the valley that Mother and I had planted two years ago. Dear Joana.

    It wasn’t a knocking. It was an urgent booming that made me jump in my chair. Fists pounded on our font door. No one stirred inside the house. I left my desk and peered out into the hallway. My mother stood flat against the wall facing our framed map of Lithuania, her eyes closed and her face pulled with an anxiety I had never seen. She was praying.

    “Mother,” said Jonas, only one of his eyes visible through the crack in his door, “are you going to open it? It sounded as if they might break it down.”

    Mother’s head turned to see both Jonas and me peering out of our rooms. She attempted a forced smile. “Yes, darling. I will open the door. I won’t let anyone break down our door.”

    The heels of her shoes echoed down the wooden floor of the hallway and her long, thin skirt swayed about her ankles. Mother was elegant and beautiful, stunning in fact, with an unusually wide smile that lit up everything around her. I was fortunate to have Mother’s honey-colored hair and her bright eyes. Jonas had her smile.

    Loud voices thundered from the foyer.

    “NKVD!” whispered Jonas, growing pale. “Tadas said they rook his neighbors away in a truck. They’re arresting people.”

    “No. Not here,” I replied. The Soviet secret police had no business at our house. I walked down the hallway to listen and peeked around the corner. Jonas was right. Three NKVD Officers had Mother encircled. They wore blue hats with a red border and a gold star above the brim. A tall officer had our passport in his hand.

    “We need more time. We’ll be ready in the morning,” Mother said.

    “Twenty minutes—or you won’t live to see morning,” said the officer. “Please, lower your voice. I have children,” whispered Mother. “Twenty minutes,” the officer barked. He threw his burning cigarette onto our clean living room floor and ground it into the wood with his boot.

    We were about to become cigarettes.

2

WERE WE BEING ARRESTED? Where was Papa? I ran to my room. A loaf of fresh bread had appeared on my windowsill, a large wad of rubles rucked under the edge. Mother arrived at the door with Jonas clinging close behind her.

    “But Mother, where are we going? What have we done?” he asked.

    “It’s a misunderstanding. Lina, are you listening? We must move quickly and pack that is useful but not necessary dear to us. Do you understand? Lina! Clothes and shoes must be our priority. Try to fit all that you can into one suitcase." Mother looked forward the windows. She quickly slid the bread and money onto the desk and snapped the curtains shut. “Promise me that if anyone tries to help you, you will ignore them. We will resolve this ourselves. We must not pull family or friends into this confusion, do you understand? Even if someone calls out to you, you must not respond."

    "Are we being arrested?" began Jonas.

    "Promise me!"

    "I promise," said Jonas softly. "But where is Papa?"

    Mother paused, her eyes blinking quickly. "He will be meeting us. We have twenty minutes. Gather your things. Now!"

    My bedroom began to spin. Mother's voice echoed inside my head. "Now. Now!" What was happening? The sound of my ten-year-old brother running about his room pulled a cord within my consciousness. I yanked my suitcase from the closet and opened it on my bed.


    Exactly a year before, the Soviets had begun moving troops over the borders into the country. Then, in August, Lithuania was officially annexed into the Soviet Union. When I complained at the dinner table, Papa yelled at me and told me to never, ever say anything derogatory about the Soviets. He sent me to my room. I didn't say anything out loud after that. But I thought about it a lot.

    "Shoes, Jonas, extra sock, a coat!"  I heard Mother yell down the hallway. I took our family photo from the shelf and placed the gold frame faceup in the bottom of the empty suitcase. The faces stared back at me, happy, unaware. It was Easter two years before. Grandma was still alive. If we really were going to jail, I wanted to take her with me. But we couldn't be going to jail. We had done nothing wrong.

    Slams and bangs popped throughout the house.

    "Lina," Mother said, rushing into the room, her arms loaded. "Hurry!" She threw open my closet and drawers, frantically throwing things, shoving things into my suitcase.

    "Mother, I can't find my sketchbook. Where is it?" I said, panicked.

    "I don't know. We'll buy a new one. Pack your clothes. Hurry!"

    Jonas ran into my room. He was dressed for school in his uniform and little tie, holding his book bag. His blond hair was combed neatly over to the side.

    "I'm ready, Mother," he said, his voice trembling.

    "N-no!" Mother stammered, choking on the word when breath and lowered her voice. "No, sweetheart, your suitcase. Come with me." She grabbed him by the arm and ran down to his room. "Lina, put on shoes and socks. Hurry!" She threw my summer raincoat at me. I pulled it on.

    I put on my scandals and grabbed two books, hair ribbons and my hairbrush. Where was my sketchbook? I took the writing tablet, the case of pens and pencils and the bundle of rubles off my desk and placed them amongst the heap of items we had thrown into my case. I snapped the latches closed and rushed out of the room, the curtains blowing, flapping over the loaf of fresh bread still sitting on my desk.
~
I saw my reflection in the glass door of the bakery and paused a moment. I had a dab of green paint on my chin. I scraped it off and pushed on the door. A bell tinkled overhead. The shop was warm and smelled of yeast.

    "Lina, so good to see you." The woman rushed to the counter to assist me. "What may I help you with?"

    Did I know her? "I'm sorry, I don't--"

    "My husband is a professor at the university. He works for your father," she said. "I've seen you in town with your parents."

    I nodded. "My mother asked me to pick up a loaf of bread." I said.

    "Of course," said the woman, scurrying behind the counter. She wrapped a plump loaf in brown paper and handed it over to me. When I held out the money, she shook her head.

    "Please," whispered the woman. "We could never repay you as it is."

    "I don't understand." I reached towards her with the coins. She ignored me.

    The bell jingled. Someone entered the shop. "Give your parents our very best regards," said the woman, moving to assist the other customer.

    Later that night I asked Papa about the bread.

    "That was very kind of her, but unnecessary," he said

    "But what did you do?" I asked him.

    "Nothing, Lina. Have you finished your homework?"

    "But you must have done something to deserve free bread," I pressed.

    "I don't deserve anything. You stand for what is right, Lina, without the expectation of gratitude or reward. Now, off to your homework."

Comments

  1. I have already posted two chapters of "Between the Shades of Gray" now. Sorry I haven't got any ebooks, but I am trying to type my paperback book (its fine I love typing).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

吃仙人掌的骆驼

    前几天在网上看到一个视频,是几只骆驼在吃仙人掌:     看着看着都心疼。仙人掌那么长的刺,骆驼宝宝你怎么能直接嚼呢!?这样舌头不痛胃也要被扎成筛子吧。     过了一会儿再骆驼嚼仙人掌的特写镜头里发现,骆驼嘴巴的上壁扎了几根仙人掌上断掉了的刺。     到网上查了一下,动物学家给出的解释是这样的:     骆驼的嘴巴里长满了圆锥形的乳突,这些乳突已经部分角质化,不但坚韧,而且具有半刚性(semi-rigid),有点像保鲜盒盖子的中央部分。这些乳突能保护骆驼的嘴巴在食用仙人掌时免受擦伤或刮伤等伤害,也能帮助骆驼控制食物朝同一个方向。     虽然看了动物学家的解释,很惊奇。回头看视频还是有些心疼。但骆驼世世代代为人类在沙漠中运送东西,吃的最多的食物只能是仙人掌。在进化的过程中,也只有这样保护自己才能活下去吧。

Singapore Zoo——Rainforest Lumina

    主要活动——拜访新加坡动物园里的夜间动物园——Rainforest Lumina。     这个活动受到了唐老师的大力推荐,说里面虽然没有得看动物,但是和游客的互动非常多。于是,我们和公公婆婆,还有妈妈的朋友Lixin阿姨一家一起来体验了”传说中“非常好的眼睑动物园。     在晚霞的下到达了新加坡动物园。     刚刚换了新手机,试下小米8自带的美颜功能(正常模式下拍照照片都像是被美颜过了的一样)。     Rainforest Lumina和游客的互动介绍(按遇到的先后顺序排序): 这里是地图一张     1. Garden of Virtues (美德花园)     这里有一圈竖着的木牌子,每个上面都雕刻着动物,看起来像一个个图腾。走进一看,原来牌子前面都有一个竹篮,里面放着一些手环,手环上写着一些由动物代表的美德(应该是随机的吧):Creativity粉色(创造力),Patience深绿(耐心),Resilience浅绿(顺应力),Teamwork紫色(团队活动)等等。     这些手环上还写着“Singapore Zoo”,“Rainforest Lumina”还有一个二维码,想是卖广告用的吧。     2. 大声吼(Sing Like an Animal)     玩法:围栏前面有一座假山,后面有一组组麦克风。麦克风靠近话筒地方又一圈彩色的灯,而同组麦克风的灯颜色是一样的,被放在一起,一高一低(亲子游戏)。如果两个人同时对着同一组里的麦克风大叫,前面的假山上就会出现麦克风颜色对应的动物(比如紫色是树懒,绿色是蜥蜴……)。     结果:在动物出现的那一瞬间非常激动,但是再喊了几次嗓子就开始疼了。宝宝最喜欢玩,自己在低的那个麦克风那里喊,但是没人和她一起在高的麦克风喊,于是就放弃啦。     3. 跳一跳 (Wall of Fame)     玩法:在动物对应颜色的圆圆跳板上跳一下,相对应的动物就会在墙上跳起来。每跳三次动物的身上就会出现白色的“圣洁”光圈。     ...

2020南非之旅——第八天

    凌晨4:00,天还未亮,我们起床了。梳洗之后来到餐厅,我和宝宝喝了热巧克力,吃了几块小饼干。简单地准备了一下行装,我们上车出发了。     刚刚驶出营地,天色昏暗,黑暗的野地里传来了野兽的吼鸣声,感觉就在营地门口。David叔叔告诉我们,那是狮子的吼声,狮群就在不远处。我们全车人都紧张得不敢大声喘气。我们在营地外的土路上慢慢前行,天色渐亮,向导向远处的树丛指过去,那边的树丛下有狮子。我们极目远眺,看不出来狮子,向导用手提的指示灯指向树丛的方向。他能够看见狮子眼睛反射的光芒。我们用上了望远镜,还是看不清楚。我们继续向前走换了一个角度,这个时候天色更亮了,借助望远镜,我们隐约可以看到一只雄狮正趴在矮小的灌木丛下休息。David叔叔说在雄狮的后面还有不少母狮子正在四处走动。     叔叔将发现狮子的消息通过无线对讲机告知了主营地的人(虽然我们营地的人不多,这家做safari的公司在不远处还有一个主营地。我们后来去参观了主营地,还去了它的商店里买了一些纪念品。主营地里面的客人更多,只是因为人多地方大,就少了我们营地那种精致的感觉),更多的越野车聚集到了这里。但是由于距离很远,大家也是只能看个模模糊糊的黄色影子。David叔叔带着我们在附近的几个区域快速地穿梭。几个来回之后,他又被对讲机叫到了发现狮子的地方,原来主营地的人们准备结伴把车开到更靠近狮子群的地方。越野车徐徐地绕过灌木丛(这里几乎没有路,叔叔是通过压倒一些柔软的植物进入灌木丛中的空地的),绕到了狮群的前面。这时的狮群,离我们只有5米左右。     越野车停下了,我们开始细心地观察狮子的一举一动。我发现一开始看见的公狮已经不知去向,在我们面前的大多数是幼年的母狮,有一只成年母狮。她们在我们面前悠然地伸着懒腰,打着哈欠。     在母狮的带领下,狮子宝宝,逐渐地走入丛林的深处。(以下是较长的视频)     越野车是下了河床往右边一看,一头犀牛远远地站在那里,就在主营地的下方。我们稍微往那边开了一下,远远的看着犀牛,犀牛也看着我们。我们问David叔叔,能不能再开过去一些,叔叔说说不行,要保持安全的距离。叔叔说,这只犀牛就像电影的预告片,虽然只有一只,还不能开近看,但我们一定能看到更大群的犀牛的。...