Skip to main content

“好奇心是最好的老师”

—— but in a bad sort of way

Macs are known for their superb security system. I personally think that Windows are easier to get viruses than macs based on my experience of killing my first Windows laptop by allowing some strange dialogue box to update my windows system. However, my mac still got viruses just a day ago. And I realized that the biggest danger to my mac isn't a bad security system -- instead it was my curiosity that kills it.

So it was a cool Sunday afternoon. I had just finished all of my homework (or maybe that was my excuse for browsing on the web) and started looking for a crack for Sibelius. There was a really good melody in my head that I was in an urge to record it but I could not find any tool. The basic version for Sibelius was actually quite good already but the song that I was thinking of includes so many different musical instruments that Sibelius Basic does not have. And so therefore I was on my journey to a crack for Sibelius Pro.

As usually I went in and out of website, but Sibelius seemed to protect its copyright really well and I could not find even one pirated version of it. The only ones that I could find were the websites that automatically generate webpages that says "XXX's crack" or "XXX free down" but are actually another app when you actually download and open the package. I got really frustrated seeing all these unzipped files that says FlashPlayer (remember they are supposed to be cracks for Sibelius?) and the RAR files scattered around my desktop.

I was just going to hurl these into the trash bin in the corner of my screen when I suddenly thought: Why not see what's inside? It was a stupid thought, an extremely stupid idea indeed, but there was the devil in my heart continuously prompting me to do the "double-click". The icon was there. Open it up and install it and I will see what it is and what it does, I was thinking. I knew it's a scam but what’s there to be afraid of? At the worst, it would just not run and I would just move it to trash. A package file ending up in the trash was just a matter of time, why not try something fun if I couldn't install Sibelius Pro anyways?

So then the process started. I knew exactly how to start installing, to authenticate the app, to key in my password and to drag things around. It was awesome. The fun of seeing the process bar slowly reaching for the end at the right was more enjoyable than everything else.

Installation ends. While I was closing the window I suddenly realized that some other softwares were also installed: there was one called "Phase Search" -- an app with a green icon and the sign with a magnifier in the middle, another app called something doctor, and some so-called photo editor.
(I clearly remembered phase search was something like this)
This was a really common case if it was in windows. Some apps just want to promote some other apps so that they make you accidentally download something else when you are downloading the apps you want. Just delete the ones you don't want. It was that easy. So I proceeded to the "Applications" folder and searched for the five extra apps that I downloaded by chance.

And then it started. Mac's default browser Safari opened on its own. I was quite surprised. Instinctively I did ⌘ ⌥ esc to quit Safari, but something was faster than me. A series of apps suddenly jumps out and blocked my sight to the Force Quit Window. I tried to reselect the window, but I couldn't move my mouse. It seemed to get stuck.

Oops.

I used my trackpad instead and tried to move the cursor on the screen. It was no use. My cursor was controlled by something.

Ooooops.

Instantly my sight went to the opened apps. There were five of them, exactly the ones I unexpectedly installed. The "Phase Search", "Doctor", "Photo Editor", "Image editor".

No!! ⌘ ⌥ esc! My cursor was as still as a statue in the middle of the screen.

⌘ ⌥ esc! 

⌘ ⌥ esc!

Windows started jumping out. At a rate of several per second. 10 of them, 20 of them, 30 of them, gradually covering my whole 15-inch screen. NOOOOOO!!!!

My mac started fanning, beeping irregularly like a siren. It was a mix of red and orange and yellow on the screen. "100 windows opened!" One of the windows says, I didn't know which. It was a huge mess everywhere. Everything appeared as a flash in a fraction of a second and then being covered by another new window again.

So force-quit did not work, cursor did not work, staring at the screen and be at a loss at what to do was the least helpful thing of the all. I stared at the button at the top right part of my keyboard, thinking of my unsaved documents, my Econs and Compsci essays unsaved in Microsoft word. It was the only choice.

I pressed the button.

My sight turned black abruptly in a brief second, and then I drew my self back to the reality. The fanning without any warning stopped "phew" it said.

It was just 5 minutes ago since I double-clicked and put my mac's fate in the mouth of a shark. 6:15, the clock said as I sat back with my head blank. Perhaps the virus drained all of my energy too. It was always summer in Singapore, yet it feels so cold sitting in an aircon room hearing wind whistling violently outside.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

吃仙人掌的骆驼

    前几天在网上看到一个视频,是几只骆驼在吃仙人掌:     看着看着都心疼。仙人掌那么长的刺,骆驼宝宝你怎么能直接嚼呢!?这样舌头不痛胃也要被扎成筛子吧。     过了一会儿再骆驼嚼仙人掌的特写镜头里发现,骆驼嘴巴的上壁扎了几根仙人掌上断掉了的刺。     到网上查了一下,动物学家给出的解释是这样的:     骆驼的嘴巴里长满了圆锥形的乳突,这些乳突已经部分角质化,不但坚韧,而且具有半刚性(semi-rigid),有点像保鲜盒盖子的中央部分。这些乳突能保护骆驼的嘴巴在食用仙人掌时免受擦伤或刮伤等伤害,也能帮助骆驼控制食物朝同一个方向。     虽然看了动物学家的解释,很惊奇。回头看视频还是有些心疼。但骆驼世世代代为人类在沙漠中运送东西,吃的最多的食物只能是仙人掌。在进化的过程中,也只有这样保护自己才能活下去吧。

Singapore Zoo——Rainforest Lumina

    主要活动——拜访新加坡动物园里的夜间动物园——Rainforest Lumina。     这个活动受到了唐老师的大力推荐,说里面虽然没有得看动物,但是和游客的互动非常多。于是,我们和公公婆婆,还有妈妈的朋友Lixin阿姨一家一起来体验了”传说中“非常好的眼睑动物园。     在晚霞的下到达了新加坡动物园。     刚刚换了新手机,试下小米8自带的美颜功能(正常模式下拍照照片都像是被美颜过了的一样)。     Rainforest Lumina和游客的互动介绍(按遇到的先后顺序排序): 这里是地图一张     1. Garden of Virtues (美德花园)     这里有一圈竖着的木牌子,每个上面都雕刻着动物,看起来像一个个图腾。走进一看,原来牌子前面都有一个竹篮,里面放着一些手环,手环上写着一些由动物代表的美德(应该是随机的吧):Creativity粉色(创造力),Patience深绿(耐心),Resilience浅绿(顺应力),Teamwork紫色(团队活动)等等。     这些手环上还写着“Singapore Zoo”,“Rainforest Lumina”还有一个二维码,想是卖广告用的吧。     2. 大声吼(Sing Like an Animal)     玩法:围栏前面有一座假山,后面有一组组麦克风。麦克风靠近话筒地方又一圈彩色的灯,而同组麦克风的灯颜色是一样的,被放在一起,一高一低(亲子游戏)。如果两个人同时对着同一组里的麦克风大叫,前面的假山上就会出现麦克风颜色对应的动物(比如紫色是树懒,绿色是蜥蜴……)。     结果:在动物出现的那一瞬间非常激动,但是再喊了几次嗓子就开始疼了。宝宝最喜欢玩,自己在低的那个麦克风那里喊,但是没人和她一起在高的麦克风喊,于是就放弃啦。     3. 跳一跳 (Wall of Fame)     玩法:在动物对应颜色的圆圆跳板上跳一下,相对应的动物就会在墙上跳起来。每跳三次动物的身上就会出现白色的“圣洁”光圈。     ...

2020南非之旅——第八天

    凌晨4:00,天还未亮,我们起床了。梳洗之后来到餐厅,我和宝宝喝了热巧克力,吃了几块小饼干。简单地准备了一下行装,我们上车出发了。     刚刚驶出营地,天色昏暗,黑暗的野地里传来了野兽的吼鸣声,感觉就在营地门口。David叔叔告诉我们,那是狮子的吼声,狮群就在不远处。我们全车人都紧张得不敢大声喘气。我们在营地外的土路上慢慢前行,天色渐亮,向导向远处的树丛指过去,那边的树丛下有狮子。我们极目远眺,看不出来狮子,向导用手提的指示灯指向树丛的方向。他能够看见狮子眼睛反射的光芒。我们用上了望远镜,还是看不清楚。我们继续向前走换了一个角度,这个时候天色更亮了,借助望远镜,我们隐约可以看到一只雄狮正趴在矮小的灌木丛下休息。David叔叔说在雄狮的后面还有不少母狮子正在四处走动。     叔叔将发现狮子的消息通过无线对讲机告知了主营地的人(虽然我们营地的人不多,这家做safari的公司在不远处还有一个主营地。我们后来去参观了主营地,还去了它的商店里买了一些纪念品。主营地里面的客人更多,只是因为人多地方大,就少了我们营地那种精致的感觉),更多的越野车聚集到了这里。但是由于距离很远,大家也是只能看个模模糊糊的黄色影子。David叔叔带着我们在附近的几个区域快速地穿梭。几个来回之后,他又被对讲机叫到了发现狮子的地方,原来主营地的人们准备结伴把车开到更靠近狮子群的地方。越野车徐徐地绕过灌木丛(这里几乎没有路,叔叔是通过压倒一些柔软的植物进入灌木丛中的空地的),绕到了狮群的前面。这时的狮群,离我们只有5米左右。     越野车停下了,我们开始细心地观察狮子的一举一动。我发现一开始看见的公狮已经不知去向,在我们面前的大多数是幼年的母狮,有一只成年母狮。她们在我们面前悠然地伸着懒腰,打着哈欠。     在母狮的带领下,狮子宝宝,逐渐地走入丛林的深处。(以下是较长的视频)     越野车是下了河床往右边一看,一头犀牛远远地站在那里,就在主营地的下方。我们稍微往那边开了一下,远远的看着犀牛,犀牛也看着我们。我们问David叔叔,能不能再开过去一些,叔叔说说不行,要保持安全的距离。叔叔说,这只犀牛就像电影的预告片,虽然只有一只,还不能开近看,但我们一定能看到更大群的犀牛的。...